Modesto Calibration Baseline Rehabilitation Project
Land Surveyors can use a set of surveyed monuments located along a baseline to check the electronic distance meters on their measuring equipment. (Electronic distance meters are typically included on total station instruments, which measure both angles and distances). These monuments are certified by the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) and are known as “calibration baselines”.
There is an existing calibration baseline in Modesto, California. The Central Valley Chapter of the California Land Surveyors Association has completed the rehabilitation this calibration baseline, which fell into disuse.
The initial site inspection was completed in the Spring of 2010. The measurement of the baseline by volunteers from the CLSA California Central Valley Chapter with the assistance of NGS was completed in the Summer of 2010.
- Baseline Measurement Complete: The official publication of the baseline monument distances is complete. You will find the published data for our Modesto baseline in the NGS datasheet listing data for all California baselines. The data for just the Modesto baseline is also listed in the PDF linked to in the NGS Results section below.
- Baseline Measurement Complete: The measurement of the baseline monuments was completed by CLSA Central Valley Chapter volunteers and NGS. The baseline measurement took two (2) long days of field work. Staff from the City of Manteca, City of Modesto, Stanislaus County, Northstar Engineer, and KSN spent portions or all of the two (2) days assisting at the baselines. (The chapter sent letters of appreciation and thanks to each organization that contributed trucks, equipment, and man hours to the baseline measurement.) You can view photos of the baseline measurement below.
- Site Inspection Complete: Keith Spencer and Landon Blake performed a site inspection at the CBL site in Modesto. They recovered and took photographs of all four (4) CBL monuments. The photographs, written description of the monument locations, and monument coordinates provided by the Stanislaus County Surveyor Department were all delivered to Marti Ikehara, the NGS Advisor for California.
- CBL Measurement Date Scheduled: Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24 are the dates tentatively schedule for measurement of the CBL monuments with the equipment from NGS. This means leveling work at the baseline will need to be performed at the end of June or beginning of August.
Site Inspection Data
You can download the Calibration Results for the Modesto Baseline.
Site Inspection Photos
|Monument #1||Monument #1||Monument #2|
|Monument #2||Monument #3||Monument #3|
|Monument #4||Monument #4|
Baseline Measurement Photos
Fall LS Review -
Saturdays from 9/26/2015 until 10/24/2015
Focus on Mapping and Document Prep
from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time.
$20 per session or $50 for all sessions
- Caltrans Farmers Market Plaza III
- 1727 30th Street
- Sacramento, CA, 95816
- (1st Floor Conf. Rm.)
RobPLSCA@gmail.com (Cellular: 760-846-4491)
Steve Parrish, PLS, WRS, CFedS
Walking in the Footsteps
& Double Monumentation
- Wednesday December 2, 2015
- from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- $75 per session for CLSA Members
(or $125 for both when purchased together)
- $100 per session for for non-members
(or $175 for both when purchased together)
- 1010 Tenth Street
- Basement Training Room (B300)
Our Newsletter "The Prism" September 2015
California Surveyor: "Summer 2015"
BPELSG Bulletin: Summer 2015
From BPELSGRenew Early
Land Surveyor Exam Development Workshops
(copied from the Sacramento Chapter newsletter)
Tuolumne Countyis looking for a Land Surveyor I/II
Closes: October 14, 2015
New in the Library:Sacramento County - added link to Geographical Map Index
(includes Maps and Parcel Maps, ROS estimated for September, then Corner Records & .....)
Added Historical FEMA Maps Stanislaus, Merced and San Joaquin Counties
Fresno County - updated record maps
Stanislaus County - updated record maps
San Joaquin County - updated ROS, PM, M&P, Corner Records
CLSA Chapter Website of the Year - 2012-2014